What is an ITIN? ITIN stands for Individual Taxpayer Identification Number. These are identification numbers issued by the IRS. These numbers are assigned to individuals who are required for U.S. tax purposes to have a U.S. taxpayer identification number but who do not have and are not eligible to get a social security number (SSN). The ITIN is for Federal tax purposes only. For example, if you are married but your spouse is living abroad and does not have and is not eligible to get a SSN, you can file Married filing Jointly (which gives you a tax benefit), but your spouse is required to apply for and obtain an ITIN.

The application process requires you to submit original documentation with the application. Current original documents are: Civil birth certificates, Passports and national I.D. cards, Medical records (for dependents under 6 years of age), and School records (for dependents under 14 years of age, or under 18 if a student).

If you need to apply for an ITIN, give us a call for more information.

Leave a Comment

Comment (required)

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Name (required)
Email (required)